Dermatica

Oh dear...I've stumbled into the wide world of Reddit and SCA.

I think part of my current obsession with my skin is related to my mental health.  I'm struggling with depression and anxiety and have been lucky enough to have been seen by an NHS psychiatrist.  I'm on medication that has worked previously, but isn't working now and is having side effects that are having a major impact on my ability to do day to day things.  I was lucky enough to get that first doctors appointment, but with things being what they are with the NHS at the moment, I haven't had the second yet.  The first was at the end of November, so we're going on four months of being in limbo with my meds.  Hopefully, my mid-April appointment won't be postponed again and things will get sorted, until then, my skin feels like something I can actively work on fixing.  Even if what I try isn't working, I'm able to try stuff.  I'm able to take charge.

That being said, research on skincare has become a bit of a security blanket and the SCA feels like an endless realm to read about people's journeys, what they've tried, what worked, what didn't.  It's a lovely little rabbit hole to hide down until I can get the rest of my life sorted.

My update pic doesn't look great, but I feel like, in real life, there's been a major improvement over the past week.  I don't have any new spots and the breakouts from before are calming down.


The reason I brought up SCA earlier was that I found out about bespoke skincare subscriptions on it.  An American resident was raving about Curology and how it helped them.  I'm living in the UK at the moment and there isn't an exact replica over here, but there is something called Dermatica which is a prescription medication subscription.  I did the free assessment and found that they recommended I have a blend of Clindamycin (1%) and Tretinoin (0.025%). 

I didn't do anything else at that point, because I wasn't sure I wanted to start a £20 a month (plus £2.90 shipping!) subscription, but then they did that dastardly marketing trick that works every time with me–they offered me the first month for free, all I had to pay was shipping.  £2.90 seemed worth it to try a product and so I ordered it on the 19th.

Post ordering it, they did have me upload three pictures of my face, front, left, and right, and apparently an actual doctor looked at them to ensure that the prescription was really suitable for me.  No idea how much time they spent looking, but I did get an email later that night (time stamped at 22:00 on a Sunday evening!) that my prescription had been approved and it would be shipped the next day.

It arrived today and I am impressed with the swiftness of it.  The packaging was nice and they included standard prescription type information.  I'm to use a pea sized amount every evening.  Fingers crossed that it does something.  I'll let you know.


Comments

Popular Posts