Burning my face off

So, when my sister gave me the benzoyl peroxide last week, I started using it as a spot treatment in the morning after my Clearasil Wipes with salicylic acid in them.  I've read that the combining of these ingredients is helpful and makes them more effective.  Then, I read about someone who had great results rubbing the BP all over his affected areas, so I started doing that and wiping it off with Pixi Rose Tonic after 10-30 minutes (whenever I'd remember that I looked like I was walking around with toothpaste dried all over my face). 

I'd been doing that for a few days along with constant masking (it calms me down and I've been stressed!) when two nights ago, I noticed my moisturiser stung a bit when I put it on. 

Okay, that's weird, but it's cheap Lidl moisturiser.

The next morning, yesterday morning, it still stung.  Hmm..maybe I need to switch moisturisers.  I've got some fancy stuff that came in the last LookFantastic box and a tiny pot of Nivea that I got for my flight, so I'll use that in the evening.

Evening time rolls around.  I double cleanse with micellar water and Eucerin cleansing lotion, then slather on the BP.

Then my nephew takes a shower.

He's nine.

He apparently thinks he needs ten minutes for every year old he is.

Seriously, the kid was in the bathroom for far longer than anyone with his minimal surface area and attention to hygiene needed to be.

The BP was on my face for just a touch longer than planned.  The Pixi Rose Tonic, marketed as soothing, stung like hell.

My plan was to wait at least twenty minutes, then go on with my normal night time routine.

I was scared.

I waited longer.

When the time came and I worked up my bravery, I decided to go ahead as normal.  I put on the Dermatica treatment. 

Nothing happened.

I put on my lovely niacinamide serum, the one that I adore and makes my face feel so smooth.

Fuck.

That stung.

A lot.

I think for a moment.  Which moisturiser to use?  In a panic I grabbed the lotion my sister has been raving about because it reduced her redness.  Surely now would be an awesome time to try it!

Nope.

Next I went for the wash cloth and cold water because everything stung.  My face felt like it was on fire and looked like I had gotten a bit too much sun.

After I washed everything off my face and spent some quality time with a cold, damp cloth, I opted for the Eucerin Sensitive Skin lotion that was also hiding on the counter (my sister has approximately 50 million different types of lotion).  I dabbed it slowly, tentatively onto my tender face.  It smarted a little, but nothing like the other lotions.  I knew that if I went to bed with nothing on, my face would be a scaly mess in the morning, so I persisted.

This morning, things weren't too bad.  Some flakes, but minimal redness.  I washed my face, used the sensitive skin lotion, and put on sunscreen.  The sunscreen was not fun.

I'm travelling all day tomorrow (doing a weird time warp thing where I get on a plane in DC at 8:00 and land in London at 8:00, but only travel for seven hours).  I'll be off actives at least until I get back home.  I may keep the window screen down and avoid sunscreen tomorrow.  I haven't decided.  There will be lots of moisturising on the flight because it feels like that is what my face needs right now.

Comments

Popular Posts