Still Improving

Funerals suck.  Holding your sister in her thirties who just became a widow as she cries sucks.  Helping a nine year old write out what he wants to say at his daddy's funeral sucks.  Holding your mom as she cries because she can't take her baby's pain away sucks.

Things still suck here, but they're starting to improve.  Same with my skin.  It still sucks, but when I take a few steps back from the mirror, the suck is less horrible.

On the morning of the funeral, my sister and I used Yes to Grapefruit sheet masks.  I don't have any pictures of any of it, but I loved the mask.  It was a little bit tingly, but way less tingly than an acid peel.  Afterwards, my sister commented that my skin tone looked a lot more even and I agreed.  Looking at the ingredient lists, it does have a fair few citrus fruit extracts, so sunscreen is a must after using it!  Citrus fruit extracts can cause really horrible burning.  Used sensibly, I really like the mask and would use it again if there was an event that I wanted to look a little bit extra nice for.

For this recent usage, it did the job of making a sucktacular day a tiny fraction of an amount less horrible.  It forced my sister to sit and breathe for ten minutes.  We put on calming music and just slowed the morning down.  I'm convinced that masks don't do half the things they claim to do, but I still use them 3+ times a week for the purpose of slowing life down for a bit.

Being in the US while also being on a skincare kick is dangerous.  There are so many new products I could buy that I really don't have money to buy having just spent an unexpected plane ticket home.  In addition to the sheet masks, I've bought two other masks and a new sunscreen.

Mask number one is a charcoal mud mask.  I think it's Walgreens house brand and I like it.  It isn't a peel off mask and I kind of wonder if it might be a dupe for Glamglow Supermud dupe.  This hypothesis is based only on pictures of what Supermud looks like when it's drying, how you can see the oil spots on your nose after it dries.  This mask does the same thing, and only cost $5.  I like how easy it is to put on; my go-to mask is bentonite clay and ACV, so things that come in a tube and don't need mixed feel like a luxury.  I'll probably get two more tubes of this before I go home.  This months Look Fantastic box has a sample of Supermud in it, if I recall correctly, so I'll be able to do a proper comparison soon.

Mask number two is another Yes to Grapefruit mask, this time their flash mask.  It looks like a giant lip balm that you rub all over your face.  You leave it on for five minutes and then rinse off to supposedly selfie ready skin.  The idea is that it would be easy to use while getting ready for work/school in the morning.  I used it for the first time last night and loved how it felt going on.  The coverages was thinner than I normally do with masks.  I didn't notice the immediate improvement I did with the sheet mask, but that could be because I did it at night when my face usually doesn't look as nice as it does in the morning (relatively speaking).  I don't know how many applications the stick will give me.  It cost $16 and it isn't one that I feel the need to stock up on before heading back to England.  If I like it, I'll keep an eye open for it at shops back home and may repurchase.

I've not tried the sunscreen yet, so I'll wait on reviewing that.  Now, time for the selfie!


It's not the best, but it's still improving.  Just like everything else.

Comments

Popular Posts