Weird Shit to Put I Put on My Face

About half of this will be, more or less, a C&P from the SCA subreddit, a post I wrote titled [Review] JoLee Light Mask, or How to look like a serial killer and lighten acne scars all at once.  I've had my light mask for long enough that I feel good about writing about it now.  Don't I look purrrrty in it?


My partner calls it my Jason mask, after Jason Vorhees from Nightmare on Elm Street.  I've had it for over a month now and I think I'm seeing results, but first, Flavanone Mud.

I lusted after NIODs Flavanone Mud for ages.  It seemed like it would be the magic mask that, three days after using, would make my skin glow.  It was pricier than I wanted to pay for it, but around 90% of all reviews on the internet were positive.  This was going to be 'da bomb', as kids once said (probably no kid ever actually said that, just lame adults).

Last pay-day, I did it.  I spent almost £30 on a face mask.  I did the five day jumpstart treatment recommended with a one day break when I was camping.  I felt the stinging when I was washing it off.  I added lactic acid on the last of the five days because someone said it seemed to absorb better when she was using the mask.

I wanted to love it.

I wanted it to change my life.

Isn't that what we all want from new skincare products.

So far, it's just meh.

I don't know.  Maybe it's not.  I'm at a point right now where I feel like I'm slowly adding lots of different things that are meant to have results over time that now that I'm actually seeing results, I don't know what to attribute them to.

I just reviewed my light mask for SCA and I feel like it's having a positive impact.  Maybe it's the tret, though.  Or maybe the Flavanone Mud?  I don't know.

I enjoy using the Flavanone and using it once a week (sometimes twice!) until it's finished won't be a hardship.  I just haven't gotten any obviously "Wow!" results from it.

Right, the light mask...

About a month and a half ago, I bought the JoLee Light Mask off Amazon for around £28 (it’s gone up to £32 now).  I had been looking at the Neutrogena mask, but I didn’t want to buy refill activators or soldering supplies in order to hack the activator it came with.  I also looked at the Neutrogena light pen, but I really wanted a full face mask with the hope of fading redness from old acne scars.  At the time there weren’t any reviews of the product on Amazon or elsewhere on the internet, so it was a little bit of a risk, but one I’m glad I took.


First,  my current routine, then my thoughts on the mask:

AM:

* Wash with Eurcerin Cleansing Milk

* Treat with Clearasil Ultra 5 in 1 Cleansing Pads

* Wait 30-40 minutes while I drink coffee/read the internet

* Tone with G9 Skin White in Milk Toner

* Treat with TO Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% mixed with CosRx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essense (three drops Vit C, 1 pump snail mucin)

* Moisturise with Nivea Soft

* SPF with Biore Watery Essence

PM:

* Initial wash with BioDerma Micelar Water

* Wash with Eucerin Cleansing Milk

* Treat with Dermatica Tretinoin 0.025% and Clindamycin

* Tone with G9Skin White in Milk Toner

* Treat with My Skin Matters (Sainsburys brand) Anti-Age Serum

* CosRx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essense

* Sheet mask, usually with Kose Clear Turn Essence Mask Collagen

* Moisturise with Nivea Soft

At least once a day, but sometimes twice, I squeeze in a round of light therapy with the JoLee mask.  There isn’t a set time that I use it, but I’ve found that it works well while I’m waiting for my coffee to be cool enough to drink.

I’m happy with the mask.  I have noticed evening of skin tone and lessening of redness.  I get a monthly beauty box and send on of my sisters an overly cheesy unboxing video each month and I got a facetime immediately after she watched the most recent one because she couldn’t get over how much better my skin looks.  That being said, I’m also on tret and using several other ingredients that are meant to even skin tone and lighten scars, so is it the light mask that’s helping?  I don’t know.

Instead of an activator, it takes 3 AAA batteries and seems to eat through them.  I have loads of rechargeable batteries though, so this isn’t a big deal.  I would imagine it would be wasteful with single use batteries.  When the batteries are fresh, the last automatically turns off after eight minutes.  As they start to lose power, that time lessens.

Inside the mask are 18 LEDs that emit a purple-pink glow, meant to be a mix of red and blue light to treat old scars and prevent new breakouts.

There is an opening to see through and I have found that if I’m in a brightly lit room, the lights from the mask are not distracting to the point that I can’t read or use my computer.  If the room is dimly lit, it is visually overpowering to have my eyes open and can be headache inducing.  Unlike other light masks I’ve seen, there is not any sort of eye protection, like the yellow tinted lens of the Neutrogena mask.  There is a rubbery bit that goes around the eye opening for skin comfort and this is the one area of the mask that I have issues with.  The rubbery bit is not well attached and needs to be pressed back into position immediately before putting the mask on.




For me, this was worth £28.  Like I said, I have noticed an evening of skin tone since using it, but that change could be from other products.  When I’m using it, I feel like I’m doing something positive for myself, so if for no other reason, there’s value in the product for me.

Here are some pics.  The first one is about a month old and the second one is a week old.  Is it the light mask, the Flavanone Mud, something else?  I wish I knew.


Comments

Popular Posts