Now I have blue hair.

Well, I did it.  I have blue hair.  I don't know how much it shows in pics, but I have a shit tonne of hair.  Like I could go topless and still preserve my modesty quantities.  This meant I also spent around $60 at Sally's Beauty on dye stuff because I needed a lot.

The first step was last night.  I recruited my sister to bleach my hair.  After much research, a little indecision about developer strength, and some consultation with a sales person at Sally's, I decided on Ion's Bright White Creme Lightener and the 30 Volume Creme developer by the same company.  I chose this combo for two reasons.  First, it claimed it could lighten up to eight levels in one go.  Second, reviews said it was less harsh on hair because it wasn't a traditional bleach.  I bought two 10 ounce bottles of the lightener and a 32 ounce bottle of the developer, but we only ended up using about half.

After the seemingly endless process of applying it, I left it for either 40 minutes or an hour.  I can't remember.  There was a lot of wine involved.  This isn't recommended.  What I do remember is it got really hot on my head and I didn't like it.  Afterwards, I rinsed it out, washed it with Generic (that's the brand name) purple shampoo, and conditioned it like nobody's business with whatever the giant bottle of conditioner my sister had in her shower.

The end result was about six shades lighter and a yellowy orange colour.  It was not a good look, but my hair was lighter and clean.  Once it was dry, it would be ready to dye.

There's a reason God gave me brown hair.

This morning was the dyeing part.  I was less concerned with needing my sisters help because I was completely sober and if I missed a spot, I could safely do a touch up soon after (I wouldn't have wanted to bleach my hair again straight away!).

I chose Manic Panic Shocking Blue based entirely on this review.  I love how it faded on her.  She ended up with unicorn hair and I'm crossing my fingers that I do too.

Dyeing was straightforward enough and I managed not to make too much of a mess of my skin or my sister's bathroom.  I left it on for an hour and now I have blue hair.

Dyeing is so glam!

The end product!
I've mentioned product names because they're ones I would happily recommend.  I'll let you know how the blue fades.

Comments

Popular Posts