Flavanone Mud Update

In May I bought my most expensive skincare product yet-NIOD's Flavanone Mud.  Fifty millilitres of it is a whopping £29 (although you can double the quantity for only £9 more).  Initially, I was pretty meh about it.  I was bummed that I didn't get the three-days-later-glow that so many other reviews talked about and decided that I would happily use it (love me a mask!) until it was finished and not reorder.

Now I'm rethinking that.

Flavanone has a lot of hype behind it.  It's meant to be a three step process in one.  First it purifies, then it protects, and finally it responds.  Purifying and protecting are fairly self explanatory and from what I can glean from the pseudo-science on NIOD's website, the mask responds to environmental pollutants and does...something.  I don't know.  They mention detoxification; I'm pretty sure that's the same thing as purifying.

Despite the quackery on the website, reviews of this mask are really good.  It spreads on much thinner than most other clay masks, has an earthy/herby scent, and is strangely stingy when you rinse it off despite not causing any redness.  There is meant to be an immediate brightening of skin, but the real wow happens a few days later when your skin starts to glow like it's made of unicorn farts.

I've made Flavanone my Wednesday mask, followed up by The Ordinary's 10% Lactic Acid with Hyaluronic Acid.  I still don't get that three-days-later-glow that I long for.  I chose Wednesday for Flavanone because I wanted a weekend glow.  Nope.  Didn't work.

Don't I look pretty?
So, why am I reconsidering?

The selling point for me with the Flavanone mask is that it helps with decongestion.  I'm getting to a good point with my skin.  I break out once a month when I'm menstruating, but otherwise it's pretty calm.  I think part of this has been because of my consistent Wednesday routine.  The under the skin, not quite a pimple but still bloody annoying spots aren't happening anymore.  My skin is actually getting a chance to heal.  It's damned exciting.  Exciting enough that I will be buying a stronger concentration of Glycolic Peel after my next payday so I can see what additional healing can be done.

Right now, I'm doing another five day super-course of the Flavanone and I'm also noticing a decrease in sebaceous filaments, or at least the appearance of them.  There are people that use this mask everyday (when would I do my other masks if I did this?!) and I wonder if I would see a constant impact on SFs if I did.  I'm cheap though and they don't bother me enough to spend the money to do this mask daily.  For now, I'll stick with once a week and the occasional five day super-course.

In other news, I did the foot peel mask three days ago.  Only the lightest of peeling so far, but if/when I get more, I'll do a longer review.  Watch this space!

Comments

Popular Posts