Pay Day Came! New stuff for my PIE!

Well, obviously I can't leave well enough alone, especially when payday comes!  My skin is mostly clear of acne these days, but has loads of leftover scarring.  Most of it, I believe, is post-inflammatory erythema, or PIE.  Erythema means redness, so PIE is literally redness after one's skin has been inflamed.  It's caused by the body reacting to skin trauma, like pimples and picking at pimples, by sending extra blood to that area.  It's treating the acne like a wound.

PIE is one of those things that is easier prevented than cured, so had I not popped so many spots, my skin might not be as rosy today.  Let this be a lesson to you all.

So what gets rid of PIE?  The number one thing is time.  I just got paid though and I can't buy time.  What can I get?  Niacinamide is a biggy and I opted for Garden of Wisdom's Niacinamide Serum.  I chose this because it has a 5% concentration of niacinamide, which is in the effective range, and has a short, well chosen list of other ingredients that I think my skin will get along with.

But wait, you might be saying, isn't one of my holy grail products a serum with niacinamide in it already?  Yep.  I love how luxurious the Sainsbury's house brand anti-ageing serum feels going on.  I've gone through five or six bottles of the stuff based on the fact that I feel posh when I put it on because of just how luxe it feels.  The problem is I've gone through five or six bottles of the stuff and I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  It might be time to move on.  I'm hoping the aspen bark extract in the new stuff will help it feel just as lovely going on.

What else have I bought?  Well, while I was getting GoW stuff, I thought I might as well pick up some Vitamin C serum.  I've used Vitamin C from The Ordinary, but I never felt like it made that much of a difference on my skin.  I chose the one I did because it has a 23% concentration and contains ferulic acid.  In her video on PIE, the Gothimista recommends L-Ascorbic Acid of at least 20%, so that's one box ticked.

Ferulic acid is found in one of the ingredients found in a super popular and constantly recommended Vitamin C serum from SkinCeuticals.  Why didn't I just get that one?  Check out the price tag!  I just got paid, but I do still want to be able to eat all the way until my next pay cheque!  So far as my research tells, ferulic acid helps against environmental factors and keeps the Vitamin C from oxidising and thus becoming ineffective.

There's one more thing I purchased and it literally just came in the post about 15 minutes ago, so I'm itching to have a go at it.  It's The Ordinary's AHA 30% BHA 2% Peeling Solution.  I've done 40% glycolic acid (GA) peels with minimal impact, but this has such rave reviews that I'm going to give it a go anyways.  It's actually a blend of AHAs with GA being the main one, but it's packed with other skin friendly ingredients that supposedly make it more effective.  TO recommends using it twice a week, so it might take the place of two of my Clearasil pad days, probably Tuesday and Thursday.  I'm substituting it for the Clearasil because they both contain 2% salicylic acid and I don't want to double up.

So, that's what I'm up to now.  I'm going to add in the peeling solution first, followed by the niacinamide, and then the Vitamin C.  Niacinamide will likely go in my evening routine and Vitamin C in my morning routine.

Comments

Popular Posts